Monday, March 25, 2013

3/5/13

After a restful sleep, I went to breakfast in the PPC. #14 arrived into KFS early, so due to padding, the stop was over 1 hour long. That also meant I could eat on a non moving train.

Early in the crossing of the Cascades, there were only some patches of snow visible. However, once 14 crossed to the west side, there was deep snow by the tracks and heavy snow falling. I don't remember as many tunnels and snow sheds during prior crossings of the Cascades. Maybe they have recently been built.

I had told Michelle (the PPC attendant) that I was going to purchase some CS coffee mugs before I got off, either before or after the wine tasting. That was scheduled (per the listed schedule) between 2:45 and 3:30 pm. This was before the arrival into PDX. I know the PPC has to "earn it's keep", so I really wanted to make this purchase. I also realize Michelle had to have a lunch break.

However, since I am familiar with that area, once we passed Oregon City I knew we were getting close to PDX, so I returned to my room to pack for departure. After I had quickly done that, I returned to the PPC. Michelle had not yet returned, and of course the wine tasting had not begun.

I remained in the PPC until we crossed the Steel Bridge (that's the name of it!), 1/4 mile south of Union Station. Michelle still had not returned. Thus I could not make a purchase to sustain the PPC!

Still I would give high grades to Michelle!

I waited in the Metropolitan Lounge for the departure of #28. The wait was about 90 minutes or so.

Utilized a Red Cap to get out to the 28 sleeper, which is the very last car on 28. We left PDX on time. By the time the SCA (Rebecca) reached me, all the great seafood boxed dinners (which was salmon) were handed out. (Rebecca told me that they only loaded 5 seafood meals on 28!) So I chose the marinated chicken with orzo salad. It was great as always, but not as good as the salmon would have been!

Soon #28 reached Vancouver, WA and turned east. Thus my quick visit to the wrong (i meant left, I meant west) coast was over. (For now!)

Soon I went to sleep. Besides, it was dark, and who wants to see SPK anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment