Saturday, March 23, 2013

3/3/13

After a restful night sleep at SAS in a bed that wasn't moving, I awoke just prior to Del Rio - abd discovered we were running late. However, because we were late, the crossing of the Pacos High Bridge was in daylight.

When passing thru the train, I discovered that most of the seats were occupied.

#1/421 stopped in Sanderson (normally a flag stop) to pick up 1 person leaving town. I wonder why they were leaving. Even the 100+ year old ex-SP station left town. (At least it's no longer standing.)

Arrived in Alpine (Jim's old stomping grounds) about 30 minutes down. We then proceeded to ELP, arriving just slightly late. The burrito lady moved from ABQ to ELP, and she was doing a very brisk business when she met the train.

Because there was only one more meal prior to  LA, I was provided the choice of remaining in my room on #421 or  move to a new room on #1. I chose to remain in the #421 sleeper. (For those unaware, trains #1 and #421 are combined and operate as one train west of SAS, with the #421 sleeper at the rear of the train and the #1 sleepers and the Dining Car at the front.)

Arrived early into Tucson. Thus due to the extra padding, the stop was over 1 hour long.

Shortly after departure, due to the late hour and the anticipated early arrival, I retired to sleep to enjoy my last night board the TE/SL.

No comments:

Post a Comment